Friday, June 15, 2007

Can't Synchronize Dates And Times

If you edit the Registry and add another time server it works fine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers.

Add a new string value. Name it 3. Add the name of a time server as the data. Use this List.

Another method:

You need to reset the windows time (NTP) settings back to defaults, here's how:

  1. Open a command prompt (Start-->Run, type CMD.EXE, click OK).
  2. Run the following commands to reset the windows time service to defaults:
  • net stop w32time
  • w32tm /unregister
  • w32tm /register
  • net time /setsntp:time.nist.gov
  • netstart w32time
Here are a list of NIST time servers if you'd rather use a different one.

Q: C:\>w32tm /unregister
The following error occurred: Access is denied. (0x80070005)?

The registry settings are not cleaned up if the unregister fails. Try creating a new account that is a member of the "Administrators" group and running the w32tm /unregister and w32tm /register commands (and those that follow) again.

Q: I found on Microsoft Forum that we must type the "w32tm /unregister" twice. But, still no luck :(

Check the permissions of the following registry key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32time.

Make sure that administrators have full control of the key and all subkeys.

I can sync my Vista with time.windows.com now!
I use TuneUp Utilities which will automatically added several server: time-nw.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, time-b.nist.gov. I tried the added server one by one and my Windows can sync with them. Last, I try with time.windows.com and it work. But looks like I must use the additional server first before my Windows can sync with time.windows.com.






1 comment:

daspeac said...

I have heard about another way of outlook pst repair. Besides, you can visit my blogs at: http://daspeac.livejournal.com/ or http://daspeac.blogspot.com/ where I’m trying to share my experience with regard to data corruption issues