Friday, June 15, 2007

Slow Vista, RAM Or Processor?

Have a look at this FAQs, which may help you to fine tune your vista. Installing more RAM will help you if you intend to run many applications simultaneously.

RAM (random access memory) is the place in a computer where the operating system, application programs, and data in current use are kept so that they can be quickly reached by the computer's processor.

A processor is the logic circuitry that responds to and processes the basic instructions that drive a computer.

Microsoft recommends 1Gb RAM and 1GHz CPU for Vista Premium.
Upgrading RAM is fairly cheap so it is worthwhile to do so. I believe it will probably cost you approx £25 to add an extra 512Mb to your laptop. Upgrading CPU is more costly and requires opening the back panel. According to Microsoft, you can upgrade to dual core CPU, Home Premium Do Not Support Dual Processors.

I have found an article about Tweaking Vista Performance which might help. I disabled Indexing myself and I can see a bit improvement on my PC.

Also heard a lot of people say Disabling UAC. I did that myself but can't see any improvement.